Re: TR-6 diff/rear axle's

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, ssutton@ban.CHINALAKE.NAVY.MIL
Subject: Re: TR-6 diff/rear axle's
From: "jpratchi" <jpratchi@isdlink1.ess.harris.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 95 14:39:14 est
Steve asks;
>Does anyone know if it is 'important' to have both rear axle/U-joint
>assemblies on a TR-6 be 'in sync' with each other (i.e. if the upper
>yoke/u-joint assembly on the left side of the diff is vertical, does the
>one on the right side need to be vertical as well or...).  The PO took it
>apart and neither the Bentley or Haynes manuals discuss this.  The splines
>on the axle where they go into the diff are not keyed, although the slip
>joint between the upper and lower axles are.

   Since the differential permits the left and right half shafts to rotate
at different rates, if you manage to get the left and right U-Joints in
sync, they will not remain so after your first turn.  The same goes for
getting all three to line up in the vertical.  One or two turns will change
everything.

>I am curious becuase it is important to have the yoke assemblies parallel
>to each other on the drive shaft (for vibration, etc), however the
>splined slip joint on the drive shaft is not keyed, so you can put it
>together incorrectly.

   The Drive shaft is another thing altogether.  Smooth transfer of power
without vibration requires maximum ability to adjust to thrust line
mis-alignment.  Logic (who says LBC engineering is logical) would indicate
that a 45 degree difference between front and rear U-Joints on a drive
shaft would permit smoother transfer than if they were lined up.

regards,  John Pratchios