Re: Rear valance and fenders

To: kirks@stanford.wanet.com
Subject: Re: Rear valance and fenders
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 95 02:35:13 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

Kirk,
 Experience is a must when installing the rear valance on your GT6.
 There is a trim bead, behind the bumpers, welded at the top and bottom.
Depending on how the welder felt the day your car was built, maybe even a
couple in the middle. This strip must be removed from each side.( where
rear quarter panel and valance meet) Under the strips you will find an
ugly rusted lip where the panels are actually spot welded. A5/16 in.
drill bit will usually be large enough to drill out the spot welds. Be
sure to center punch the welds so your drill doesn't drift and tear the
softer metal of the quarter panel.
 The proceedure is the same for removing spot welds on the inside lip where
the valance joins the lower top.
 The next problem involves fabricating a replacement cover strip for the
re welded joint. I don't know of anyone who makes one. I had to fabricate
mine from sheet metal.
 As I said, experience is a must as well as a number of special tools. I
would recommed a body shop if you happen to be a bit shy on the experience.
 The job is not that difficult for a shop, and should run in the
neighborhood of $200., depending on your locality.
Good Luck,
Tony R.
66,67,68,69 GT6
64TR4 oops