Setting points gap--(was first tuneup update)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Setting points gap--(was first tuneup update)
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 12:24:12 -0500
An easy way to properly locate the cam lobe in the distributor is simply to
leave the car in gear and rock it forward  (while in 1st).  Why direction
specific?  Well, (and I welcome coment on this), you want the mechanical
connections free of slack.  I imagine that the timing chain, dist drive gear
and such will have several degrees of slack when you add it all up.  When you
set the points gap you don't want the slack taken out in the opposite
direction of how the engine runs and pulls the slack out itself.

In other words, bring the cam lobe up to the breaker lever on a forward rock.
If you pass it, rock the car backward past the right point and rock forward
again to the right spot.

Or, if you have the plugs out, it is often easier just to pull the engine
through with the fan belt.

Brian N