Re: Vitesse questions.........

To: Lennart.Broekhof@Holland.Sun.COM
Subject: Re: Vitesse questions.........
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 16:30:03 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 8 Nov 1995 Lennart.Broekhof@Holland.Sun.COM wrote regarding his
Vitesse:

> My question is if there are things I really need to know
> before I take the body of the chassis, specialy because I
> don't want to use the original chassis anymore.
> Like what's best, take the doors out before or after lifting
> the body up ?

I'd leave the doors on; alternatively, remove the doors and brace the
openings. As the Vitesse body is not all that strong by itself, it's best
to keep the door opening supported one way or the other. Alternatively,
you may remove the body in sections -- it splits at floor level roughly
at the front edge of the front seats.

> What should I do with the engine, fill it up with oil or is
> that not needed for +- 2.5 years ?

If possible, run it, change the oil and filter, run it again enough to
circulate the oil, then store it with some oil in the cylinders. That
should be more than enough to keep it from setting up.

> The gearbox and diff are reconditioned and I only drove around
> 500 miles with it, just keep it on a dry place ?

That makes sense to me.

> And what about the battery, also brand new, can I put it away
> for so long ?

It's possible, but if you really expect it to be "dormant" for several
years, I'd suggest selling it to someone or finding another use for it
yourself.

> Does anyone know the original colors for steeringhouse (free
> translation of how we call it), alternator, engine, suspension,
> wipermotor, driveshafts etc ?

Black (semi-gloss or chassis black) would be appropriate for all but the
alternator ("natural" metal colour) and the wiper motor (probably a
metallic grey "Hammerite"-style finish).

> Lot's of questions and I hope that my technical English will
> improve in the future so that I can give answers some day at
> your questions (I know answers sometimes in Dutch but that doesn't
> much help, does it)

Well, Lennart, my Dutch is limited to the words "Amphora" (pipe tobacco)
and perhaps "Daf" (the car now owned by Volvo), so.... ;-)
> Well, thanks !!
>
> Lennart Broekhof
>

> '68 Vitesse MK I  Convertible
>
> "Weird feeling when you drive home, turn off the engine knowing
>  that that was the last time for the next 2 years..."

Andy Mace