Re[2]: compression nuts

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "Lindberg, Andrew (MN12)" <alindber@P16.MN12.Honeywell.COM>
Subject: Re[2]: compression nuts
From: "Kurt Oblinger" <Kurt_Oblinger_at_AWP450@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 95 18:49:56 EST
     Andy,

     AN stands for Army/Navy. Additionally you may find references to MS
     (Military Standard) and NAS (Navy Aeronautical Standard). These are
     standards for design of fasteners and other hardware that were adopted
     during WW2 when everybody and their third cousin in the US was turning
     out guns, tanks and planes. Since the Brits were are allies and used
     alot of our hardware they also adopted some of these standards.

     AN fittings can be found at a good auto parts store (the kind where
     the people behind the counter actually know how to work on cars) or
     a really good source for these and other quality fasteners would be at
     your local municipal airport. There is usually a store on or near the
     airport that caters to the private owner/pilots who do some of their
     own work. My favorite one (now gone in the name of improvement) was at
     Torrance, Ca. airport in a WW2 era wood and tin hangar. This guy had
     bins full of nice aircraft quality cad plated hardware at the price of
     the junk hardware at your local home center. I used to just go and buy
     stuff by the pound. He would also make braided steel oil and brake
     lines to order.

     Later Triumphs (I have an '80 TR7) really started to resemble Japanese
     cars in the respect that things were designed to be assembled easily
     and efficiently on the line but not to be disassembled/reassembled. I
     have a personal policy of always trying to replace/upgrade fasteners
     whenever possible.

     A word to the wise, nylon insert lock nuts are terrific but really
     should not be reused! If they are even a few years old the nylon
     becomes hard and conforms to the bolt threads. When removed, it won't
     "spring back" and provide any degree of interference for the necessary
     resistance when reassembled.

     This is probably more than you really wanted to know but I'm running
     out of friends and neighbors to bore to death so I figure I'll start
     on you guys.

     Cheers

     Kurt Oblinger
     TR2
     TR3
     TR7
     Vitesse
     Doretti
     Mini
     Norton
     ...and lots of nuts and bolts to put them back together with!