Re: Headlamps, auxiliary lamps

To: cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Headlamps, auxiliary lamps
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 23:45:57 -0500
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net, rwg1@autox.team.net
Chris --God Bless Ya!  Never thought headlights could become such a major
item!  I do remember one thing about my original headlights and that u may
find interesting.  I picked up my car at the factory in Coventry.  It was"
U.S. specs"!  However, about  a year after I returned to the states with it (
accepted delivery at Coventry in June '64 and shipped it from Bremen,Germany
in July '64), a N.C. dealer told me that I didn't have sealed beam headlights
 -- I had "some strange little bulbs inside an outer lamp that looked like a
sealed beam". He also told me they were illegal - which I ignored since it
was impossible  to tell by looking at them and I was satisified with their
intensity.  Anyway, I loaned the car to my brother one night in 1970 and he
managed to destroy the headlights ( a whole other story).  The garage (in NY)
that repaired them put in, of course, U.S. sealed beam headlights.  But I
often look at the headlights and wonder what I would have done in those days
before halogen etc. small bulbs.  Thanks for jogging that memory.  I also
wonder how the car ever got through the U.S. Customs inspection at Bayonne in
1964.  Obviously the certificate that said "U.S. specs" was enough to prevent
a really throrough inspection.

Arthur Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (Original Owner and daily driver)