first posting

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: first posting
From: wbabbitt@fmis01.nsc.com (Wet Hood Willy -- Beeper 395)
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 15:48:57 -0500
From:   SPF::WBABBITT     "Wet Hood Willy -- Beeper 395"  9-NOV-1995 15:46:09.02
To:     SMTP%"triumphs@autox.team.net"
CC:     WBABBITT
Subj:   first posting

I'm sorry if part of this message was mailed before it was completed. I was
having a problem with my terminal and pressed the wrong key! My apologies.

Hello everyone;
  I am a new subscriber to the Triumphs list and I hope a brief introduction
and a couple of questions are not out of order.

I bought my first Spitfire new in 1972, when I was stationed in Taiwan with the
US Air Force. For financial reasons I decided to sell it there rather than
bring it back to the States with me. Then reality set in and I went about the
business of making a living and raising a family. My finances kept me from
having a "hobby car" for many years. Finally, in 1992 I was able to buy one and
located a 1979 Spitfire 1500. I have been slowly getting it back in road
condition since then. Completed projects to date include: new clutch, pressure
plate and throwout bearing (I know, thats not the proper British terminology,
but I'm at work now, far,far away from my British/American translation list)
new clutch slave cylinder,new exhaust system and rebuilt carbrettor. I was
finally able to get it licenced and on the road last June and a wonderful time
with it this summer.

Some info on the Spit: Maroon with factory racing stripes, new top, solid body,
engine runs very nicely, dosn't burn oil, 65,000 miles. Finish is acceptable
but will need to be painted to complete the 'restoration'. Interior is fair,
the seats are dirty but not badly worn, carpets are good except for the edging,
dashboard wood is faded, dashboard vinal is cracked, door panels and vinal in
back of the seats is shot, transmission padding is good except arm rest has a
badly worn spot. I'm planning on doing the interior work after I get the
machanical work finished.

The cars history, as I've been able to piece together...original owner lived
near Norfolk Virginia (Norfolk Navy base sticker on the bumper) he/she was
probably in the Navy and bought tires while overseas (it's currently shod with
Czechoslovakian radials, not a bad tire{tyre}, I might add) He/she was also a
member of a lcoal ralley club. Sometime in the late '80s it came to Maine and
apparently sat for 2 or 3 years. It was then purchased by a young woman in Cape
Elizabeth, Me. She sold it to me when she found out it needed the ZS rebuilt
and a new clutch. She was a college student and also figured out that this
Spitfire was not, A) terribly reliable everyday transportation and B) a good
thing to be driving during a Maine winter.

Now for the questions:
 1) The brake systems master cylinder is shot. VB has them for about $225.00.
What are my options here? Can it be rebuilt? My local SBC shop says rebuilds
don't last unless the cylinder is bored out and a stainless steel sleeve
installed but to do that you've spent as much as you would on a new one. Are
there other sources of new or bebuilt master cylinders and what is the cost?

 2) The transmission is exhibiting some problems...it seems to be missing one or
more teeth in the reverse path and the syncromesh isn't as good as it could be.
This transmission does not have overdrive. I should have had it thoroughly
checked over when I had it out to do the clutch, but...that's water over the
dam. Is it a good candidate for rebuilding or should I be looking for another
one?

  Well, I've rambled on long enough for now. I'm sure I'll have lots of other
questions in the future. I'm looking forward to any advice you can give me.
Thanks in advance.

      Bill Babbitt
      Cumberland, Maine, USA