Re: Tail lights on '70 Spitfire MK III

To: Kirk Stanford <kirks@stanford.wanet.com>
Subject: Re: Tail lights on '70 Spitfire MK III
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 10:55:33 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 10 Nov 1995, Kirk Stanford wrote:

> Can anyone tell me the tail light configuration on a 1970 Triumph Spitfire
> MK III?
> Any and all help will be appreciated.  Thanks all!
>
> Kirk Stanford
> kirks@stanford.wanet.com

Sure can. The 1970s were sort of an odd-ball setup, and it was a
one-year-only thing, although somewhat similar to what preceded it.

Taillight lamp units were the same as 62-69, although the original lens
was NOT the same. The shape was similar on the 1970 but it did not have a
reflector built in as do the earlier lenses (the only ones you can
usually find nowadays). The turn signal lamps had plastic
ribbed/fluted-on-the-inside amber lenses; just inboard of these were red,
round "reflectors". Over the license plate was a large body colored
"plinth" that contained two small lamps to light the plate, and a single
small rectangular backup light (same lamp as used for a side lamp on some
Herald 1200s, BTW).

All of the above was done (I think) to conform to U.S. regulations, and
all of the above describes a U.S. spec. Spitfire or GT6+. There might be
minor differences for other markets.

Andy Mace