Re: GT6, Oil Pressure readings

To: aj253@rgfn.epcc.edu
Subject: Re: GT6, Oil Pressure readings
From: Killjoy@aol.com
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 17:17:14 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>One of my GT6s has had the knocking you describe for over two years now.
>I've been waiting with bated breath for it to give up the ghost but it
>just keeps on going.

Your advice to service the pressure regulator is excellent, and I agree that
engines don't need rebuilt at the first audible sign of wear, but the
following line is where I have to diverge.

> When the small knock becomes a bang. it's time to worry.

Had that happen once; it took out a chunk of the engine block, which put a
small hole in the main front brake line of a dual circuit system.  The lack
of a fully functioning, normal braking system forced me to go off-road to
avoid a collision while I tugged on the emergency brake and pumped on the
pedal for my life.  Going off road cost me two tires, two wire wheels, and
scuffed up the underside, but saved me and the car from major body damage.

You do NOT want to wait for the bang.  And always remember to temper the
spirit of your driving to match the condition of your car.  Taking care of
little problems before they become big problems is now a natural part of my
philosophy.

Michael Turley
'67 Spitfire Mk2