GT6, Oil Pressure readings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT6, Oil Pressure readings
From: thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us (Thomas J Howard)
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 08:10:29 -0800
It seems that I have too much oil pressure?

I noted a knocking noise in my engine so I thought that I would hook up an
Oil pressure meter to check the oil pressure.    I was surprized to find
that it was quite high.    The engine has I believe 70K miles total with
poor care for the first 69K.   The knocking noise that prompted me to check
out the oil pressure comes in about 20 seconds after starting the car cold
and is quite pronounced untill the engine is fully hot.   After that it is
hard to detect.
(I now think that it is a loose piston)

Back to the oil.   I am running 20-50 oil.   When cold the pressure is 60
psi at Idle!   It will go to 80+ psi when running 2000-3000 rpm cold.   When
fully warmed up the pressure drops to 35 psi at 600 rpm and is steady at 70
psi at 3000 rpm.

Is there a problem here?

(I have cleaned out the inside of the engine with Berrymans and changed the
filter.  I can see some good flow in the rocker cover which is in stock
condition.)

Do You Think My Questions Are Too Long?

Tom Howard
'72 GT6