Re: Triumph dashboard re <9511152152.AA04488@ad0.reach.com>

To: <rvince00@counsel.com>
To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Triumph dashboard re <9511152152.AA04488@ad0.reach.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 15:08:42 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
Illegal-object: Syntax error in To: address found on alpha.xerox.com:To: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )) ^-missing end of address
>>>Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles said:
 >  Then, you must find a
 > suitable "press" that is large enough, flat enough and heavy
 > enough to effectuate a proper mating of the glued surfaces.  I
 > suggest placing a piece of wax paper or oil cloth between the
 > press and the dashboard in order to prevent them from sticking
 > together around the edges.

I've not tried this myself, so judge for yourself if this is a good idea, but
I think you could make a good press for veneering fascia panels ("dashboards"
in 'merkin speak) out of two 2x12s: pick straight kiln-dried ones longer than
the panel to be veneered by at least 6 inches.

Use one for the base, and the other for the caul.  (a "caul" is piece of a jig
used to apply pressure to a glued up assembly)  To ensure even pressure, take
a plane and working from the center to both ends of the caul, shave it down
until it's a smooth convex curve.  I'd guess about a 3/16" crown would be OK.

Now, when everything is ready, glue up, and put the panel on the base 2x12,
cover with wax paper, put the caul on top, crown down, and clamp.  You should
use at least a dozen clamps for best effect.  Snug down the ends until the
caul is flat all across the panel, and let the glue cure overnight.

If anyone tries this and it works, I'd like to hear.  I've not tried it on a
car's fascia, but it's more less how I've seen similar things done in "Fine
Woodworking" magazine.
  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center