Spitfire fuel pump?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire fuel pump?
From: "Brent Martin" <b_martin@lifesci.lscf.ucsb.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:46:54 -0700 (PDT)
On with the continuing saga...I have installed the replacement engine (was
running when removed from the previous car - late model spit 1500) and tried
 to start it this
weekend. Cranks over but won't fire. The fuel pump that was on that engine
had a broken input tube (it had the "spacer" between it and the block and
had a big curved lever for the cam) so I
switched the one over from the blown engine (no spacer and straight lever).
The guy at Moss said that the spacer was need for the curved lever but not
the straight lever so I installed it without the spacer.
   Don't seem to be getting any gas - can't smell any, none in fuel filter.
Now what? Does something need to be primed? Did I screw up? Cranking the
engine should pump fuel into the carb regardless of anything else wrong with
the engine - shouldn't it?  brent