Re: Spit. bearings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, "Dr J.E.Miles" <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Spit. bearings
From: "Kurt Oblinger" <Kurt_Oblinger_at_AWP450@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 95 17:31:25 EST
>I recently replaced both front wheel bearings and tracks on my '77
>Spitfire 1500. The job went well except that the new felt grease
>seals refused to go into their housing. They just seemed slightly too
>large and eventually I destroyed them in the attempt to fit them.  I
>purchased replacements from Moss but these also would not fit. The
>old seals fit and the seals from a spare spitfire hub I have fitted.
>What am I doing wrong?

>Any ideas?

>Jonathan Miles

     If the seals you tryed to install are like the ones I sourced from
     Vicky Brit (the first, last and only parts i will ever buy from them)
     for my Vitesse, then you probably didn't do anything wrong (IMHO).
     The seals you described sound like the ones I got. In 25 years of
     working on cars for fun I have never botched a wheel bearing seal or
     any other pressed-in seal until that one. It is similar in design to
     the original but the OD was quite a bit larger. I ended up using the
     metal retainer from the old seal and gluing in the new felt.

     I don't know how these will hold up. Later, I was in my local auto
     parts mega-warehouse and looked in their bearing catalog. The brand
     name of the bearing line is something like BDS, a generic blue box.
     They listed bearings and seals for several Triumphs including GT6.
     The seals were of the newer style with a neoprene rubber seal. I
     bought a pair to keep on the shelf in case my rework of the old ones
     fail.

     Bad parts will defeat a good mechanic any day of the week.

     Kurt Oblinger
     Redondo Beach, Ca.

     TR2 TR3 TR7 Vitesse Mini Doretti Norton

Dr J.E.Miles