TR-3A Leaf Springs

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-3A Leaf Springs
From: "Johnson, Ray F." <JohnsonR@courier8.aero.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 08:10:00 -0800
Cc: "Hutchens, Fisher" <0041539@ccmail.emis.hac.com>
Encoding: 15 TEXT
    I am restoring a 1958 TR-3A (TS28692L) and have a question regarding the
rear leaf springs. I have removed both springs from the car and plan on
having them checked, reworked and re-arced ( if required). The problem is
that the springs are not identical. The right spring has two plates mounted
on top of the spring where the rear axle attaches. The total thickness of the
plates is 0.390 in. The left spring does not have any plates and the axle
mounts directly to the top leaf of the spring. Otherwise, the two springs
appear identical. The factory manual only provides one set of dimensional
data which implies that the springs should be identical. I know the history
of this car and am confident that it came from the factory this way. Also,
the frame appears to be straight and level. Does anyone know why the plates
are there? Should the plate height be considered when the springs are re-
arced?
Thanks for the help.
Ray Johnson '58 TR-3A