Help with TR-4A waterpump

Subject: Help with TR-4A waterpump
From: Darrell Walker <walker@epcot.rose.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 14:57:41 PST
The water pump on my TR-4A is driving me crazy.  Here is a brief
cronology of my troubles:

        About 4 years ago, during my frame-off restoration, I decided
        to replace the water pump and pulley.  When I assebled the
        new pump and pulley, the pulley would hit the pump housing.
        I then found a spacer between the old pulley and pump, and
        installed that spacer in the new pump.  Everything seemed
        fine until...

        4 months ago, I noticed an odd sound from my engine, which
        turned out to be the pulley hitting the water pump.  It
        appears that the pulley began to wobble, and wore the
        key off of the water pump shaft.  I purchased a new pulley
        and pump from Moss Motors.  The new pump was machined such
        that it no longer interfered with the pulley.  All was well
        until....

        2 months ago, I noticed an odd sound again. This time, the
        key and the water pump shaft had wore out the hole in the
        pulley, allowing it to wobble.  I installed the old pulley,
        and all seemed well until....

        Today, I noticed the familiar odd sound again.  I tighted the
        nut on the water pump shaft, and it helped a little, but something
        is still wrong.

Has anyone had similar trouble with replacing the water pump and pulley?
At over $100 a pop for the pair, I don't want to make replacement a
regular maintainence item.

--
   Darrell Walker                 walker@core.rose.hp.com
   (916) 785-4059                 HPDesk: Darrell Walker/HP5200/UM