Re: Triumphs 6-cyl

To: Orie@mbox.stetson.edu
Subject: Re: Triumphs 6-cyl
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 12:12:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 27 Nov 1995 Orie@mbox.stetson.edu wrote:

> An acquaintance has what he describes as 'a bunch
> of 6 cylinder triumph engines/transmissions' in a
> workshed near my house.  He has no idea what
> they are from having never owned a 'real' car.
> How do I tell what they are from?  Would anyone
> be interested in them?  Thanks for any help

Like anything else Triumph, the easiest way is to check numbers. For
example, the engine numbers are usually found on the top surface of the
block, left rear corner (as the engine would be oriented in the car) --
approximately under the #6 spark plug area. Some of the more likely
prospects:

Vitesse: HB and other "H" engines
GT6: KC and other "K" engines
Triumph 2000/2500/2.5 PI: MB and other "M" engines
TR6: CC or C? (help me here TR6 fans; I forget the engine numbering here)

The above refers to the first two characters of the engine number. You
might also find suffix letters as well. For example:

 HB1234HE would be a Vitesse 1600cc engine, high compression (LE suffix
 indicates a low compression engine); C?12345UE would be a later TR6 2.5L
 engine (UE is a designation used in the 1970s to denote a U.S. spec.
 engine).

A quick visual check would be to look at the row of intake/exhaust
ports. If they're in a straight line, the engine is likely to be a
Vitesse 1600 or early GT6/Triumph 2000 engine. If they are staggered up
and down, it's more likely a later GT6/2000/TR6 engine. On the spark
plug side, those earlier engines are identifiable by "exposed" pushrod
tubes. Again, though, check the number to verify exactly what it is.

Transmissions carry similar prefixes, as do rear axle units.

Hope that helps,

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register