Re: TR-6 tires/wheels

To: stephen r sutton <Stephen=R=Sutton%BSDCL%Contracts@ban.CHINALAKE.NAVY.MIL>
Subject: Re: TR-6 tires/wheels
From: "Philip E. Barnes" <peb3@cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 14:26:37 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 27 Nov 1995, stephen r sutton wrote:

> Can anyone give any recommendations on replacement tire sizes for a TR-6.
>  I currently have Red-Line's on the stock 5.5" metal wheels.  Replacement
> Red-Line's are nice, but pricey.  At Triumphfest this year I noticed a
> TR-6 with 215/75-15 size tires that seemed to look 'right' compared to the
> various 60/65 and some 70 series tires I have seen on other TR's; I could
> not locate the owner to ask any questions such as any problems with tire
> rubbing, etc.
>
> Has anyone had any experience with any aftermarket aluminum wheels other
> than the ones sold by TRF/Moss/VB?  It would seem that you should be able
> to match up a wheel from another car that has the same bolt pattern and
> offset as a TR-6 and end up having more choices and *probably* a more
> reasonable price.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Steve Sutton
> Ridgecrest, CA
> 74 1/2 TR-6
Steve:
I agree that the Redlines are way too expensive, especially for a 25 year
old tire. I have used the 205/70-15 for years without any problem other
than the low speed steering being a bit heavy. This is the correct
replacement size for the 185-15. The diameter of a 185-15 is 26.54" while
a 215/75-15 is 27.24" and a 205/70-15 is 26.34". As you can see, the 215
is a bit big. A competent tire shop like The Tire Rack may be a good
source for info. on wheels.

Phil Barnes '71 TR6  CC61193