Spit Mk3 Engine.

To: triumphs
Subject: Spit Mk3 Engine.
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 1995 13:44:32 -0700

     Date: Fri, 01 Dec 1995 11:50:08 +0000 (GMT)
     From: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk

Hello All,

Has anyone(probably more applicable to UK list members) got any idea what a
good Mk3 Spitfire engine is worth, the engine has 15,000 miles since rebuild
15 years ago.  I have been offered the engine by a friend who is uprating his
Mk3 to 2.5 straight six power!!

If I buy it I hope to change the gutless lump in my MkIV with it so as to give
it a bit more poke, is this a wise decision(I have heard that there is little
actual difference in power, it was just the way in which  they were measured
that made the Mk3 look better).  Also the owner says that he has wound it
round to 7,000 revs no trouble, My MkIV used to hit 6,500 but now that the
carbs are out of balance has trouble reaching the 5,000 mark.

Also would the Mark 3 flywheel mate up to my MkIV clutch and O/D gearbox with
no problems?

All comments, etc welcome.

Rich - The NEW Joint Leicester Area Organiser for '96 for the TSSC :-)
Northampton
England.