TR-4 Exhaust and Distributer Problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR-4 Exhaust and Distributer Problems
From: daverne@dlcwest.com (doug daverne)
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 15:14:46 -0600
I have some questions on two problems (one basic, one not)I have been having
with my TR-4:

First Problem: Exhaust leaks - There appears to be an overabundance of
exhaust noise coming from the front of the car (drive shaft forwards). It is
most noticeable on start-up but continues once things have warmed up. The
exhaust pipes, etc. are in generally good shape. I've done a visual
inspection and can't see any signs black sooting at the joints. What is the
best way to trace a leak such as this?

My biggest complaint about this situation is that the car doesn't have the
proper "throaty" sound it should.

Second Problem: Distributer Noise - Recently an intermittent howling/whining
noise has started being emmitted from the area around the base of the
distributer (not necessarily the distributer itself). When it occurs the
engine begins to miss sporadically. Has anyone encountered a similar
problem? My distributer is original and has never been re-built. I would
like to narrow things down before I start tearing things apart.

New to the list,

Doug Daverne

Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
1961 TR-4 CT283LO