Re: spitfire warm start probem

To: Paul Mew <paulmew@vossnet.co.uk>
Subject: Re: spitfire warm start probem
From: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.ColoState.EDU>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 16:44:05 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I have this similar problem on my '75 Spit, but mine just dies in
traffic. It always happens in warm weather, and I'm sure the 4,000 foot
altitude here in Colorado doesn't help.

The English car mechanic I use says it is a percolation effect that takes
place in the fuel pump, which is characteristic of this type of lever arm
pump that's attached to the engine.  The heat transfer to the pump from
the block is high, even with that spacer that was installed on the later
models.  The heat is still going to be transferred by the contact with the
arm, and the two studs, and it obviously does.

ANYWAY, he suggests carrying one gallon of water at all times. When the
car dies, or refuses to re-start, slowly pour the water directly over the
fuel pump.  This seems to condense the gas, and cool the pump.
It does work...I've tried it on my '78 Midget.

Long term solutions are probably:
        To install an electric pump in the trunk, and/or
        Install an oil cooler.

Let me know if this works for you Paul,

Nick D. Benson
Dept. of Industrial Sciences