Z-S Carburator Adjustment Problem

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Z-S Carburator Adjustment Problem
From: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 20:05:34 -0500
Forgive me if this is a re-post.  I tried to send an earlier message but
never saw it post.

Last weekend I tried to adjust my Stromberg carbs  - the color tune showed
white (lean) or was that yellow - just how DO you tell the difference - but I
suppose that is another question.

Anyway - I got THE TOOL (VB - TRF & Moss were all backordered) removed the
pistons, got it inserted and set but darned if I could get it to turn.  Gave
it a pretty good try, in both directions, but it wouldn't move in either
direction.

HELP - Any Suggestions.   My theory is that the DPO turned them too far to
the lean side and the needles came out of the threads. Does this sound
reasonable, or does anyone have another idea.

If indeed the needles have become disengaged what kind of job is it to fix
this.  I have never opened up the carbs before and don't know what I would be
getting into.  Any tips, words of encouragement or instruction will be
GREATLY appreciated.

As it is now, the car runs fairly well but we don't get that throaty "tune"
from the exhaust.  It is now lower pitched and more of a rumble than that
typical TR6 sound.

I am assuming (hoping) that this too is an indication of improper fuel
mixture.

Your responses will be greatly appreciated -

JoeSimcoe