Re: Electric "fool" pumps <Pine.A32.3.91.951203210954.45332D

To: Nick Benson <grayoak@holly.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: Electric "fool" pumps <Pine.A32.3.91.951203210954.45332D-100000@holly.ACNS.ColoState.EDU>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 1995 21:32:31 PST
Cc: mgs@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Nick Benson said:
 >
 > Anyone of you extremely helpful people "out there" ever installed an
 > electric fuel pump?

I installed one in Sybil, my '72 TR6.  I used a FACET from JCWhitney and a
fine filter and mounting kit from Pegasus Racing.

 > My main question is: Does installing one eliminate vapor lock,(which is
 > big problem here in Colorado.)

Um, not necessarily.  But when I installed the electric pump I also rerouted
the fuel feed from next to the engine to around the outside of the engine bay.
 No vapour lock for this boy!

 > Secondly, can they be installed in the engine bay area?  It seems that
 > most people install them in the trunk, but I'm not certain why.

Actually, the best place (at least on a TR6) is on the frame rail right next
to the fuel tank outlet.  THe reasoning is that they push petter than they
pull.

That said, I put mine in the engine compartment and have had zero problems
with it.  It *does* make wiring it to the oil pressure cutoff switch much
easier.
  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center