Steering box adjustments

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Steering box adjustments
From: <Allan=W.=McClure%FACENG%UMASS@BANYAN.UMMED.EDU> (Allan W. McClure)
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 95 12:43:50 EST
One thing that I've always felt a little unsure of in adjusting the steering
box on my TR3 is how to accurately determine the number of shims needed on
the end of the steering coluum - the shims fit between the box/housing itself
and the end plate through which the directional wires extend.  I haven't done
this in quite a while but I seem to remember doing it by pulling on the
steering wheel and "feeling" for the end play, then adding/removing a shim or
two and repeating it until all end play is gone - a trial and error approach.
Is this the right way to do this?  It seems like there should be a more
definitive way of doing this - anyone know of any?  And, in the final
analysis, how critical is it to get it just right?  How well engineered is
the 3's steering mechanism anyway?

Allan McClure
'60 TR3A TS75421L