Re: Spit single rail gearbox question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit single rail gearbox question
From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 1995 11:27:35 -0500
>Hello all,
>
>According to the VB catalog, later Spitfire single rail gearboxes
>can be one of two types.  One has an oil seal, and the other
>has an oil thrower.  Both OD and non are offered in both of
>these flavors.
>
>Can anyone enlighten me as to what difference it makes?
>I'm guessing that the internal parts might not be interchangeable.
>They list a complete reman tranny in either configuration.
>Are they (whole box) interchangeable ?  Can you tell which kind one
>is by looking at the outside of the tranny?
>
>Bob (curious about his boxes & it's not even Xmas yet) Sykes
>75, 78, 78 Spitfires

It all depends on the "front end cover" in your bell-housing. Some of them
used an oil seal (press-in, spring/lip type) and others just had a close
fit and relied on the thrower to keep the oil in. It would leave one to
believe that there would be a difference in the input shafts.(?) However, I
was not happy with the thrower set-up on my '75 so I had the front end
cover machined to accept the press-in oil-seal. Now all's well, with that
anyway. Hope this helps.

Bill King
MAH16@cornell.edu