Re: engine swapping

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: engine swapping
From: dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 95 13:22:36 EST
For some reason many people outside the Triumph community as well as
a few inside think that the Triumph would be a better car with
a transplanted engine.  I can't figure this out.
I can't remember how many 'wing nuts' pumping gas have said to me
"uh uh why not put a V8 in it"
I love the straight 6 push rod engine that came with the TR6.
Its a good engine.  It can be tuned to lots of power by upping
the compression its also well suited for a turbo and its a relatively
reliable motor.  In fact I've used my TR6 many times to chase parts
for my other cars.
Besides you can't beat that great TR6 exhaust note.  My friend wishes
his Miata could sound as good as the TR6.
The other Triumph engine that has a bad reputation is the Stag engine.
I rode in a Stag about a month ago and all I can say is that it pulls
with lots of torque and sounds great.  From what I was told by
a Triumph/Jag mechanic is that the Stag engine needs a lot more
maintenance however its not as bad an engine as the general public
perception leads one to think.

dehaasm@napc-1.navy.mil