TR6 Mixture Setting

To: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Subject: TR6 Mixture Setting
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 10:33:47 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John M. Trindle writes:
 > I have a friend (not on the list) with a '71 TR6 with a pair of Zenith
 > Stromberg's.
 >
 > First off, is this right?? I thought the Z-S plague didn't hit until
 > mid-'70s (the MGs, anyway, went to SU HIFs in the interim).

The ZS have been on the TR6 since the beginning.  Not sure about TR5's
and 4's, someone else will have to comment on that...  Actually I find
the ZS a fine carb.  They work just fine for me on my '75.

 > Second, he has one carb (the front, I think) which he cannot get adjusted
 > to anything but yellow with the Colourtune.  I'm not talking about "it
 > won't idle except when yellow", I mean he says he uses the full range of
 > adjustment and it is >always< yellow.  Since this means rich (right?) it
 > seems unusual for an emissions carb.  The rear carb adjusts properly, so
 > I think he knows what he's doing.

It could be a couple of things. The first might be that the needle
isn't on the adjustment screw anymore.  If this has happened, he'll
have to remove the carb top, and push the needle into the piston while
turning the screw with the allen key so that it catches.  It'll then
be adjustable again, and you should see the needle move up and down as
it changes.  (I bet this is the problem)  It may be that this thread
is stripped.  That would be a drag, and I hope is not the problem.

It also could be that the float level is incorrect in that carb.  If
it's off, it can cause a car to run rich or lean, but I would think
that you would see some sort of change if the adjustment screw was
working.

Basically float level is the course adjustment, needle is the fine.

 > I have only worked with HS and HIF carbs, so I'm stumped.  He does say
 > the system has a manual choke, not the automatic one.

Make sure the choke is off on the front carb!

Good luck with it...

-Scotty
 '70 TR6 (non adjustable carbs)
 '75 TR6 (adjustable carbs :-))