RE: GT6 Gearbox

To: thoward@sdcoe.k12.ca.us, triumph@igc.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: GT6 Gearbox
From: Ceraldi-ERC004_Richard%PWMS1@email.mot.com
Date: 12 Dec 95 08:58:12 -0600
Chad says:
"How does a TR-6 Trans compare in price to a GT-6 from Kipping?  What was the
shipping bill?  I tried to buy two rear fenders from Rimmer Bros.  The shipping
($278.00) was more than the fenders ($250.00) !"
"Also a Mobile 1 user"

    I had a little trouble keeping the numbers split up but the gearbox was 170
pounds less the VAT (15% I think)  and with the core charge (75 pounds and the
otherstuff added up the shipping was approx $90.  I would think a TR6 box would
be in the same ballpark. Probably fenders were so high because of the bulky
crate.

Tom says:
"You can change the gear lube with the trans in the car.    There are two
plugs in the trans.   One on the bottom, great for draining the oil, and one
on the right side.  The one on the side is great for fill ups.   You do need
a hand pump to get the stuff to flow up hill into the side hole.   But since
you are only pumping about 28 oz of lube it is really no trouble."
"Also a GL4 gear oil user"

The problem I have is getting my hand in the space allowed to get to the refill
plug.
Luckly I don't have to mess with the rear seal as my engine is very tight.

Thanks for the inputs,
Richard Ceraldi
71 GT6 MKIII KF166L

I use Mobil 1 20W-50 in my Trans.

> Does anyone use Amsoil (synthetic)
>in their transmission or differential? Since access is not easy without
removing
>the interior I tend not to change the lube as frequently as I should. Any
ideas?

>Richard Ceraldi
>71 GT6 MKIII  KF166L

Regards,