Re: Help! TR-6 engine vibration

To: kralmv@ctrvax.Vanderbilt.Edu
Subject: Re: Help! TR-6 engine vibration
From: lmdpth@lmd.ericsson.se (LMD/T/TB Peter Thorsen)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 1995 15:54:26 +0100
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>    I was hoping that someone can help me diagnose a vibration in my '71 TR6.
>It only becomes noticeable at 3500rpm+,  and it feels like the same
>amplitude/frequency that you would get from a very bad u-joint.  I don't know
>if this problem has occurred all-of-a-sudden or if I just started noticing it.
> I'm sure it an engine vibration because if I let the car out of gear but keep
>the engine revved at highway speeds,  the vibration goes away.

To me the above suggests that it is NOT an engine vibration. I have just
exchanged the two U-joints at the rear axles (spit MK3), since they where
noisy AND made the car vibrate. Actually the problem was most noticable at
low speed with the engine braking the car (such as rolling towards a stop-
light), but I wouldn't be surprised if the U-joints have other ways to
manifest themselves.

 - Peter

NB: By changing gears, try to find out if the frequency follows the
engine speed or the car-speed.