Clarification on tight gearbox

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Clarification on tight gearbox
From: GBSimcoe@aol.com
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 12:41:51 -0500
Joe seems to get to do all of the postings these days-- see he's at the
office playing on the computer while I'm at home trying to take care of 4
boys, house, land etc.....  ;-)
Checked my mail and saw his post-- wanted to make it a little more clear.
On our few days of cold weather here say below 40 or so, the gearbox is
really tight- even just the lateral movement of neutral.  In other weather it
is nice and loose, lateral movement is fine and shifts well.  But when it is
cold, not only is it MUCH tighter than usual, but it can be very hard to get
into gear at all.  This is where the problem is I'm really having to ram it
in gear.  Sometimes having to come to a stop to do so Downshifting for the
first 10 minutes or so of driving can be a real problem and I wonder if I'm
doing any damage to anything by forcing it-- no grinding noises just VERY
hard to get in gear.
Drove my old one all over the northeat in snow and ice and can't remember
this happening-- but maybe it's selective memory.
Thanks...... Grace