RE: Tight Gearbox in TR6

To: JoeSimcoe <JoeSimcoe@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Tight Gearbox in TR6
From: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 95 10:10:00 PST
Cc: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net.wgcinet>
Encoding: 24 TEXT
>in cold weather that the gear box feels like it is full of molassis.

That's normal, to verying degrees, with any manual gearbox.  It's just the
oil getting thick at cold temps.

The straight 90 weight that the book recommends is unavailable in my area,
so I use Castrol Hypoy, I think it's rated 80-100 or something like that.
 I'm sure someone will correct me, it's just too cold in northern Illinois
to go out to the garage just to read a label.

BTW, I fill mine with a rubber hose pushed onto the end of the bottle spout.
 Invert the bottle and squeeze, no fancy pumps required.  In cold weather it
builds up grip strength too :-)

Tom Gentry
72 Triumph TR-6 OD
86 Dodge Shelby Charger Turbo
88 Sterling 825SL
tgentr@wgc.woodward.com

"Life is too short to drive boring cars!"