Re: TR4 TIMING

To: BKANDE@ccmail.monsanto.com
Subject: Re: TR4 TIMING
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:47:29 -0600 (CST)
Cc: " - (052)triumphs(a)autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Fri, 15 Dec 1995 BKANDE@ccmail.monsanto.com wrote:

> Howdy,
>
>         I'm new to your list, and it sounds good to me.  My 18
> yr. old boy, and myself are rebuilding a TR4.  So far it been fun

>         The other day we tried to time the engine on the Tr4 we
> have, and what do you know, it doesn't apear to be timed as most
> cars I've worked on.  No timeing marks on the block or sheive.
> Please if you can post or send me some info on the timing of the
> TR4 engine.

        Bruce,

        I'm assuming that you are static timing your engine after a
        tear-down... Right? There are several steps, which since I'm at
        work I can't tell you. If you want I can slip out at lunch and
        get my manual and give you the list later this PM.

        Let me recommend your getting a Bentley shop manual ASAP.

        If the engine is not torn down the, timing mark is on the
        lower fan belt pulley that's attached to the crank. The indicator
        or pointer is on the timing chain cover. It's not incoceivable
        that the pointer has either been removed or broken off, nor is it
        inconceivable the the pulley may have been removed at some previous
        time and assembled with the mark in the wrong position in relationship
        to the key way on the crank (I've done that myself). If you don't want
        to pull the front of the car apart to change the pulley, find TDC on
        number one piston then mark the pulley with a paint marker, file or
        hack saw blade and start from there.

        Get back to me if you want the full set of instructions for
        the complete timing of the engine from the cam to the distributor, etc.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois