Re: GL-5 in gearboxes, diffs

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GL-5 in gearboxes, diffs
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 1995 10:53:02 -0800 "triumphs@autox.team.net digest #74 Fri Dec 15 02:35:02 MST 1995" (Dec 15, 2:35am)
The sulphur-based EP additives in a GL-5 oil attack the brass synchros in our
transmissions.

I'm surprised at the recommendation not to use GL-5 in a diff, though. Yes, the
diffs have copper thrust washers, but they also have sliding ("hypoid") gears;
the EP additives are designed to handle exactly that. I'm fairly certain that
the factory specified a hypoy oil for that application - and when I've used
GL-4 oil in my diff, it has made less happy noises!