Re: Piston Rings

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Piston Rings
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 95 19:59:45 CST
On Tues. Dec. 19 Peter Fullam wrote about his TR4 rebuild:
>The compression is all the way up to 130-132PSI.
>This, by the way, is with a 278 degree Isky cam and 0.080" off the head. I
>figure the compression should be at least in the 180s.

My TR6 with 11:1 pistons and cam read lower compression after the rebuild,
even tho it runs as expected. I only see about 120 on the gauge. I suspect
the high-overlap can may reduce the gauge reading by not having the valves
closed as long. Anyone knowledgeable on such things care to comment?

The oil blowing out says you either have severe blowby from the rings yet
or you don't have any crankcase ventilation. Did you change anything
related to the breather during the rebuild? Or is a hose swelled shut?
(Don't know what TR4 ventilation consists of...)

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, fax: 608-273-5061, email: gschneid@nicolet.com