Re: Spitfire Wire Wheels(Q)

To: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Wire Wheels(Q)
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 1995 09:31:48 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Thomas Story <tomstory@slip.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net

On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Andrew Mace wrote:

> That sounds like a decent deal to me. Obviously, you'll need knockoffs
> and wire wheels themselves ;-); beyond that, all you need to do is
> shorten the wheel studs (I forget exactly how much) and purchase the
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> special nuts to hold the adaptors on. The studs need to be shortened so
> as not to foul the wheels.

Andy,

I think you're thinking of the big TRs which used shorter studs for the
splined adaptors.  Spits use the same studs for steel wheels or splined
adaptors.  There are special lug nuts for use on the adaptors though.

When doing the conversion to wires on my car, I looked high and low for
reference to shorter studs and could find none.  I test fit a splined
hub and wire wheel using the proper lug nut and everything fit fine on
the standard studs - no interference between stud and wheel.  I have been
driving on them for about a year now with no problems.

Greg Meboe mentioned the possibility of using 14" or 15" wires on the
Spit.  Another possibility that crossed my mind was to use alloys with
splined hubs in 14" or 15"....

Best,
Mike
mburdick@unmc.edu