Re: TR3a Transmissions

To: musson@satie.arts.usf.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3a Transmissions
From: Paulsv@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 1995 18:06:20 -0500
In a message dated 95-12-28 11:12:39 EST, musson@satie.arts.usf.edu (Carl
Musson (EVENTS)) writes:

>Can an non-overdrive transmission be modified to accept an overdrive
>unit?  or will the tranny need to be changed out?

I did this modification on my TR3A a few years ago.  You need the shafts from
the overdrive transmission, the overdrive adaptor plate for the rear of the
transmission, and, of course, and overdrive unit.  I did it because I
happened to have a newly rebuilt non-overdrive transmission, and a trashed
overdrive transmission.  I rebuilt the overdrive unit at the same time, and
it wasn't hard.  I strongly recommend getting a copy of the Laycock
maintenance manual.  I cant remember where I got it- I think from TRF.
The only problem I had was the bearing that goes between the two parts of the
mainshaft in the overdrive transmission.  It was not available at that time.
 I was able to get one with the correct inside diameter, and a too large
outside diameter, and then had it cut down to size on a lathe.  (I believe
the design of these shafts changed at some point during the TR3 run, and a
set of needle bearings was used at one point, so this may not apply to you,
depending on what Overdrive shafts you are using.)  One final problem was the
Speedometer drive.  You need a longer cable, and the 90 degree fitting on the
transmission end .  That little puppy was only available new for about $100,
but I was able to find a cheap used one.

Best Regards
Paul Vander Woude