Re: Valve Job

To: gprtech@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: Valve Job
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 12:03:32 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

I'm a little confused here.

If the valve guide is bad, you can drill/press whatever the old one out
and press in a new one. I know this is doable, I have a bag full of stock
cast iron valve guides for my TR6 sitting in my basement.

If the valve seat is gone, then you might have a problem, but again, TRF
and Moss etc sell "hardened seats" that can be pressed into the head.

Now, if you had pressed in seats and one of those failed, you might be in
trouble.

In any case, a good used head for a TR6 motor shouldn't set you back too
much money. Then do the right thing and get a good valve job on it and
stick it back in the car. It should be good for another 100k miles!

Just my $.02.
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? After 2, does it matter?