Valve Job

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Valve Job
From: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 09:32:24 -0600
Someone asked that I continue to relate my valve-job story, so here's
hopefully the conclusion. If you'll recall, this all started with the PSSFT
sound from a leaky exhaust valve...

On second look of course the mechanic and the machine shop realized the
valve guides were removable which they did and replace them all as they
rebuilt the head.  New valves, seats ground etc. at a cost of $350.

With a gasket set, coolant, and a couple of oil changes and filter to get
the coolant out of the block from pulling the head, the total bill with
labor was $820.

Not what I needed just before Christmas but really had no choice.  There may
have been a cheaper way to go but it would have taken a lot more time,
research, and effort.  As it is I'm back on the road after ten days in the shop.

lchillin
'73 STRag

P.S. Someone was recently asking what it costs to keep a LBC on the road,
here's one measure.