TR6 frame flex

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 frame flex
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 10:21:33 -0800
> Barry
> I don't know about your spitfires or your GT6, but ANY TR6 with jack stands
> behind front wheels and rear wheels on the ground will flex more than enough
> to keep the doors from working...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sorry, my abysmal ignorance showing again.  I was basing this on my
experiance with Spitfire/GT6 frame/bodys.  I just assumed the same was true
for TR's.  You can jack up one corrner of a good Spitfire or especially a
GT6, and still be able to open the doors, in fact one of the ways to tell if
you have a bad frame/sill is to do just that.  If you can't open/close the
doors while jacking the car up ( or while sitting on the ground for that
matter you should look at the sill/frame (assuming  door hinge adjustment is
correct) to see what the problem is.  But the sill area is a structural part
of the body shell on Spit/GT6's.  Aparently not on the TR's (havent really
looked that closely at the body construction of th TR series , and it shows
:-))  Listen to the owners of TR's.  Maybe you don't have that much of a
problem. . . but man you TR guys must have some really bad cowl shake!!!  :-)

Sorry for the confusion if any, and I'll try to contain my references to
those things I'm familiar with! ! !

Hey, maybe if you graft a Spitfire frame onto. . . aaaah. . oh. . .never
mind.  :-)

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+