Re: TR6 frame flex

To: Barry Schwartz <Bschwartz@encad.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 frame flex
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 10:34:02 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
> > ... ANY TR6 with jack stands behind front wheels and rear wheels
> > on the ground will flex more than enough to keep the doors from working...

> Sorry, my abysmal ignorance showing again.  I was basing this on my
> experiance with Spitfire/GT6 frame/bodys.  I just assumed the same was true
> for TR's.  You can jack up one corrner of a good Spitfire or especially a
> GT6, and still be able to open the doors...

Basically, with a TR6, it all depends on *WHERE* the jackstand is
placed.

If the stands are placed directly behind the front wheels (essentially
just ahead of the doors), the frame *will* flex enough to keep the doors
from opening.  This is because most of the weight of the engine is ahead
of the jackstands, and flexes the frame.

If instead, the jackstands are placed near the frame's forward cross
member (immediately in front of where the front suspension mounts to the
frame), the support will be more similar to the support provided by the
car's suspension, and the doors will still open just fine.  The only
drawback to this is that the jackstands are more towards the middle of
the car, and there is a greater possibility that the car may get knocked
off the jackstands.  Having the jackstands in this position also puts
them more in the way of working underneath the engine.

If one plans to put a TR6 up on jackstands for winter storage, I
would suggest putting the front pair of jackstands near the
forward crossmember, and the rear pair on the diagonal frame rails
where the trailing arms mount, just outboard of the outer trailing arm
mount.  (Assuming, of course, that your frame is solid right there --
that's one of the first spots where the TR4A-TR6 frame rusts...)

Putting the jackstands in those points should allow the doors to be
freely
opened, so that you can get in/out of the car for maintenance tasks...

--ken
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

--
Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com