Re: Wire wheel tightening

To: DCHIAHOT@dqc2c.dofasco.ca, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheel tightening
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 16:49:13 -0500
In a message dated 96-11-01 15:27:34 EST, DCHIAHOT@DQC2C.DOFASCO.CA
(Chiahotny David) writes:

>  Actually, I am the second owner of the E-type. -snip-

>  The splines have always been well greased, but it always seems that the
>  knockoffs are easy to put on and hard to take off. -snip-

>  Tightening the knockoffs is not a real problem  - getting them off at the
side of the
>  road can be.
>  The Series II jaguar knockoffs are a triangular shape with a brass key
which
>   has 3 arms to hit with the hammer.  Holding the key in place with one
hand,
>  swinging the hammer with the other, watching that you don't hit your hand
>  and watching that you don't hit the bodywork all at the same time leads to
>  poor job at getting the knockoffs off of the spline.  I have chipped the
>  paint when swinging the hammer on a rear wheel.
>  The front ones are a cinch as the fenders are part of the bonnet and
raising
>  it leaves a wheel free of encumbrances.  Anyway, I don't have any stuck on

>  the car, but an easy way to remove them would be appreciated.  I have been

>  thinking of modifying the key to accept a large bar to give more
controlled
>  leverage, but I don't know how well that would work.  I'll probably try it

>  as soon as the car is back on the road.
>  Thanks for your concern and your reply.
>  David Chiahotny          '70 E-type ots
>  Hamilton, Ontario, Canada     '71 Spitfire
>  david_chiahotny@dofasco.ca
>   ----------

David,  sounds to me as if the Jag and the TR's have different kinds of
knockoffs --with the Jag having a safety feature (i.e. a locking key) that
prevents accidental loosening.
  On the Triumphs there is no locking key.  The knockoff is put on and
tightened by hammer and the movement of  the wheel.  To remove the knockoff,
one hits the ears of the knockoff until it loosens and can be spun by hand.
 So the only way a TR knockoff  would not loosen would be if it were frozen
by rust or corrosion or if the threads had been damaged.
 Sorry, I can't help you any further.  Maybe someone on this list who is
familiar with Jags can help --or you might try the Jag list.  Cheers

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L