Re: Depressed state during winter...

To: Paul Burr <tigerpb@ids.net>
Subject: Re: Depressed state during winter...
From: Lenny Seidman <lseidman@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 1996 22:06:41 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Paul Burr wrote:

> Philip E. Barnes wrote:
> >
> > Andy, et al:
> > Regarding the broomstick on the clutch-pedal trick; If you fear for the
> > hydraulics, I could imagine a turn-buckle sort of device between the lever
> > on the cross-shaft and something substantial to the rear, like a driveshaft
> > yoke or the rear gearbox mount. This would accomplish the task and take the
> > pressure off the master and slave cylinders. Just a thought...
> >
> > Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
>
> Sheez! all this bedknobs and broomstick stuff! Why not just go out and
> start the car a couple of times a week in the winter? If there's no
> slush out side, I usually let mine warm up and take some short rides
> around the 'hood.

That's about the worst thing you can do­ letting it sit and warm-up
and then taking it for a short ride around the 'hood. If you are going
to take it out make sure the car is driven after a few minutes of
warm-up and then for at least 15-20 minutes of driving (not in stop
and go traffic either), The engine must reach normal operating
temperature and all that raw gas gotton rid of when you started the
car. I try and take my cars out at least once every 2 weeks (weather
and salt covered roads permitting) for and at least 30 to 45 minutes.
The cars really appreciate it and I find that I have very few problems
during the winter. They just need exercise like the rest of us. Even
one long ride once a month will do, it gets the juices flowing as well
as keeping all those rubber seals from drying out!
--
Lenny Seidman
Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, USA