Re: TR6 Seats <961031202036_1713384724@emout04.mail.aol.com>

To: MRomagni@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Seats <961031202036_1713384724@emout04.mail.aol.com>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 1996 12:09:18 PST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>>>MRomagni@aol.com said:
 > Hello All:
 >
 > I am a new TR6 owner and wish to re-pad the seat bottoms of my 6. I'm having
 > difficulty in finding any how-to information.

The seat bottoms are pretty easy.  If your '74 is like my '72, it's like this:

Remove seat from car.  Invert seat on work bench.  Reclining the seatback is
prbably a good idea now.

Remove the clips around the bottom edge of the seat fram that hold the cover
on.  gently remove the cover if you are going to reuse it.  Remove the old
foam.  If you need a new rubber diaphragm, take out the old one now and
install the new one.  This is stretched tight, and you will need mechanical
assistance to get the hooks in.

Before you put the diaphragm in, check the frame for rust and broken welds,
and correct any flaws.

Assemble the foams.  Mine had a thick main foam, with a sculptured piece to go
around the edge.  I glued them together with 3M spray trim adhesive.  THen I
glued the foam to my new rubber diaphragm.

Now turn the cover (the old one you saved or the new one) inside out and place
over the foam, so that the part your butt goes on is in the right place.  Now
gently turn the cover right side out and work the sides down the side of the
foam.  Pull tight and clip to the seat frame.  Trim excess cover if necessary.

The seat *back* is much more complicated, at least on my '72, but it can be
done.  That's a topic for another message, it's time for lunch.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center