Re: Question regarding using ABS plastic for TR-3 air deflector

To: jfcowan@sj.znet.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question regarding using ABS plastic for TR-3 air deflector
From: Creigtrium@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 1996 12:31:29 -0500
In a message dated 96-10-31 22:53:51 EST, jfcowan@sj.zNET.com (John Cowan)
writes:

<<         I've had a report that some TR-3 folks have replaced the available
 filmsy cardboard aftermarket radiator air deflector with a homemade copy
 made from ABS plastic.
         I found 30 and 90 mil ABS.  The 90 is clearly too thick, while the
 30 eems a bit thin to me, although it is almost as thick as the cardboard
 and seems to be similarly stiff.  Has anyone tried this?  If so, what
 thickness ABS did you use and did you have any trouble creasing it where it
 needed to bend sharply?
         Thanks.
 John Cowan >>

John,

I've played with ABS, thinking of using it on my TR6.  I am not sure
of the proper thickness that you need.  But ABS is a thermo-plastic.
This means that it can be heated, formed, then cooled in the new form.
Hot-melt glue is a common thermo-plastic.  I have heated sheet ABS
in a line (using a plastic bag sealer) bent the sheet, allowed it to
cool, and had a nice small-radius bend.  I heated the sheet just
enough to allow it do bend easily.  Over heating it might turn it
into a fluid.

The latest thing that I have done is buy a 1/4" diameter heating
element that is about 2' long.  This will allow me to make tight
bends (up to 2' long) with my ABS.

Good luck.

Creig Houghtaling
St. Louis, MO