Re: Timing Light

To: jstovall@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Timing Light
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 1996 17:29:13 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< Anyway, here's the story, I went out and bought a timing light to
 start tuning the car. It's a Sunpro Inducitve thingameboper, with the
 little clips that go to the battery + terminal, ground, and one that goes
 over the spark plug wire. I didn't work. At first I thought it was broken,
 but then I hooked it up to our Camry, and it worked perfectly. I went down
 to AutoZone and the guy said that all they had were iductive pickups.
         The reason I'm writing this is because a friend came over a while
 back with a timing light that simply snapped onto the spark plug, and then
 you snapped the spark plug wire back on. Simple, and it worked. Am I
 missing something here? Or do the inductive pickups not work on older cars?

Jeff,

Did you try more than one wire? I know to time the engine it needs to be on
#1, but for test purposes, see if it'll fire on any of the other 5 wires.

Also, put the inductive clip as close to the plug as possible for more
accurate timing. Some clips have an arrow that points to the direction of the
plug (I really haven'nt noticed any real difference with mine).

If you still don't get a flash from the timing light, your ignition system
may not be puttiing out enough spark to "impulse" the pickup. OOOPS!

Good luck,
Charlie B.