Re: Timing Light

To: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Subject: Re: Timing Light
From: jstovall@earthlink.net (J. Stovall)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 1996 04:39:22 -0800 (PST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>> The reason I'm writing this is because a friend came over a while
>> back with a timing light that simply snapped onto the spark plug, and then
>> you snapped the spark plug wire back on. Simple, and it worked. Am I
>> missing something here? Or do the inductive pickups not work on older cars?
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>Yep, your missing something :-)  The inductive type of timming light, in my
>opinion is the only type of timing light to use.  It works by the voltage in
>the spark wire inducing a 'trigger' pulse in the pickup coil ( the 'clamp'
>).  The age of the car, type of triggering i.e. electronic, points, etc.
>dosn't matter.  If your not getting a timming signal that is indicating some
>other problem.  Either a bad plug wire, distributor cap, misfire, etc.  Do
>you have it on the correct wire (closest to the fan)?  Must be on the number
>one cylinder-sounds like a stupid question, but it matters.  The guy at the
>smog station, when he clips on the induction clamp is looking at RPM not
>timming, so wire choice is not critical, it is for timming-
>
>Barry Schwartz
>Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
>Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
>(San Diego)
>70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
>70'GT6+

Idea! (Look, it takes me forever to get the suckers, humor me! ;-) Within
an hour of buying the timing light, my battery died on me. Completly.
Screwed. I mean that sucker wouldn't turn the starter, even after I had let
it sit for a while. Could it be that, since the battery was nearly dead, it
wasn't putting out enough power to give a good spark. But wouldn't the
igntion coil have fixed that prob? Hmmm.

Jeff "Waiting on thos dang ideas to come back (pesky little critters)" Stovall
jstovall@earthlink.net
"I'm God's gift to humility."
1966 Triumph GT6 mk1