Re: TR 250 Restoration Docs

To: Steve Sides <steve_sides@gilbarco.com>
Subject: Re: TR 250 Restoration Docs
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 19:12:23 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Steve,

      Welcome to the club. I am about 2/3 of the way done on my MAJOR
frame-on resto. My recomendations? Get a Haynes manual(Gentlemen prefer
them you know), don't know about Bentley though...but Chilton is useless.
     For reference (and history)? TR for Triumph, by Chris Harvey; The
Triumph TR5/250 and TR6 Companion by Steven Rossi and Ian Clarke (avail-
able through TRF-part number#RFP36); and although I've never read it-the
"Original TR".  Also, the TRF "red" parts book (the one for only  the TR
250) is an excellent reassembly manual.
     For advice, I'd recomend having an always loaded camera (not gun,
see near suicidal TR7 repair story by Bruce for why), so you can, at a
moments notice, photo document every sub-assembly. As I dismantled my
car, I photographed everything (at least 5-7 rolls), and am sooo glad I
did. Things you think you can remember WILL be forgotten, especialy the
small details, like dashbord assembly, underhood wiring, door internals,
etc. Also, have a note pad and write a description of how things went to-
gether...just as important.  And store the photos and notes with the old
parts as you store them (in seperate bins-according to area they're from).
     Another source of facts, besides this excellent gathering here, is
British car shows. You should always bring a camera to these too, so you
can see what a particular installation on a TR 250 will look like. Or to
capture an inspirational image of a pefectly restored example to buoy
your spirits. That, and this list, has lifted me out numerous "slumps".
     Good luck and keep us posted....

                      JOE IV
                      TR 250
              WALLINGFORD, CT. USA