TR 3 Mechanicals/Rebuild

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR 3 Mechanicals/Rebuild
From: dwilliam@mail.educ.gov.bc.ca (David Williams)
Date: Thu, 07 Nov 1996 14:39:19 -0800
The tub of the small mouth TR 3 is now resting on a tarp beside the frame
and I've spent the last few nights disassembling the rear end as I move
closer to the day when I'll send the frame out to be chemically bathed and
I can start to build all these components and assemblies back into
something resembling a roadster.  But first some questions:

1. Road Springs:  Is it worth disassembling these before blasting painting
drying and lubricating...or should I just leave them together?...If they
prove to be flatter than original specs...is it worth buying a new set from
TRF??

2.  Rear Hubs: I've removed the rear hubs and the half axles as units to
get at the backing plates for blasting and painting prior to rebuilding the
brakes.  I'm not looking for any trouble but how does one tell if there is
a need to refurbish/replace the hubs etc. without involving 40 tonne
pullers and presses or 6 different Churchill tools that no longer exist or
are relatively inaccessable to the average LBC hobbyist??  I'm inclined to
leave well enough alone and trust that some of these 40 year old parts are
still OK.  Actually, the whole rear axle is newer than the car (6 bolts
etc.)  Do i take the assemblies to a shop and have the pulling and pressing
done there...or can I leave them? (this should separate the shipwrights
from the mechanics) I do intend to renew the grease seals prior to
reassembly.

3.  Differential:  Similar question to the previous.  The whole thing is
out and cleaned up, sitting on a bench.  Is there any suggestion that I
should pull it apart just because I can?  Again, I do intend to renew the
pinion oil seal as there is some indication of leakage.

4.  Driveshaft:  Opposite question.  My intention is to renew both 'U'
joints as a matter of course...any reason not to?

5. Engine Rebuild:  I've (successfully) done a Ford truck V-8 engine and
I'm a long way from TRF (can't afford the $2K+ anyway) so I'll soon be up
to my fetlocks in tappets and bearings.  I expect that the remainder of the
rebuild will stretch out for at least the next 18-24 months....so how long
can a rebuilt engine sit before it should be used?  Should I just leave it
sealed up until I'm ready to begin the final reassmbly, then rebuild as the
last major component?...or can i rebuild now, and leave it until I'm
finished the rest of the project before firing it up? .....or is there
something in between...like disassemble, spray it with Pam and put it
away?.... What's the best scheduling?

6.  Tranny and OD:  What advice on minimum reconditioning etc.?  They were
in working order 16 years ago (last time this sucker was driven) and have
been garage stored ever since.

David J. R. Williams
TS 12287L
CF 18015