Several questions & TR7 Update

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Several questions & TR7 Update
From: cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil (Bruce T. Clough)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 11:14:08 -0500
Question 1:

Has anyone out there in cyberland ever tried to modify the shift points on
a TR7 automatic trannie?  I'd like to keep the car is first gear longer for
better acceleration, and I don't want to manually push up the lever all the
time.

Question 2:

Is there an A/C radiator thermoswitch on the market that doesn't turn on
at too low a temperature?  The electric cooling fans were turning on when
the temperature gauge indicated that the engine wasn't hot (in fact, it was
just ovewr the first mark on the gauge).  I checked the gauge and sending unit,
all seemed well.  Replaced the sending unit for fun.  Still said the fans
were coming on at too low a temperature.   Replaced the electric fan
thermoswitch that plugs into the radiator.  Fans now came on at an even
lower temperature!  This is not an isolated case of this, others in our
local club have this problem, and I've read about it on this mailing list.
Does someone make a thermoswitch that actually will let the engine heat up
before the fans come on?  Right now I have the fan switch disconnected.
The plan is to install a manually operated switch if an acceptable
thermoswitch can't be found.

Question 3:

Is there a good reference on the market for increasing the power from the
stock USA-spec TR7 engine?  I`m trying do do a cost/benefits comparison
between souping-up the stock engine, installing the Dolomite/Sprint engine,
or loading in a 215.  I have good cost/performance data on the Sprit and V8
engines, but none on a modified TR7 engine.  There was a short article in
Triumph World about this, but nothing really technical.  Any help out there?

TR7 Update:

The coupe`s running strong.  2200 miles and still counting.  I noticed that
the turn signals, brake lights, and reverse lights were out this morning,
but that could be due to the guys at Ziebart yesterday. Will troubleshoot
later today. Had a religous experience last Saturday replacing the carb mounts
and cleaning out the autochoke system.  I've just installed a set of front
Bosch fog lamps, and a rear lamp is on order from Rimmer Bros.  I've found
a set of alloy wheel to install, so if anyone want's the originals with those
oh-so-stylish hubcaps, let me know.   I was thinking about replacing the
8-track player with an in-dash CD unit, but the boys in the office just came
through with another box of 8-tracks and a recorder!  Still looking for ABBA
tapes though....  Future mods could include HS6s, which means we will have
the ceremonial burning of the smog CD175s and the autochoke system.

Bruce Clough
cloughbt@batman.flight.wpafb.af.mil
'81 TR7 DHC (wants more power)
'79 TR7 FHC (needs more 8-tracks)
'62 TR4 (Alice's car, I'm just the crew chief)
'54 TR2 (for sale, US$5K)