Stag conversion

To: TRIUMPHS@autox.team.net
Subject: Stag conversion
From: Lawrence Schilling <lchillin@siu.edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 1996 09:21:37 -0600
  Man Don, what a list of cars you own....

Don Elliott
1982 Lancia Zagato
1973 Triumph Stag, tired and worn out
1975 Cosworth Vega
1980 Fiat Spyder

Glutton for punisment??

"Dropping" a Ford or Chevy engine in a Stag will probably be more expensive
than you think.    The rearend isn't strong enough to take the added torque
and would probably end up devoured.

Not that I'm advocating this but, after the trend I've been reading about
lately where numerous peoples Stags have spit the teeth of their water pumps
and jackshafts, I'm glad mine has a TR6 engine.  Even if I did just spend
$800 for a valve job.  The dfference in horsepower between the the 3.0 litre
V8 at 125hp vs. the 2.5 litre straight 6 at 105hp can be narrowed by K&N
filters, cleaning up ports, and dual exhausts.  The balance and handling of
the car are good and parts are relatively cheap and plentiful.

I bought my car this way and sometimes I wish I had the V8 until I read
another horror story of timing chains, jack shafts, overheating, and corrosion.

My 2 cents and of no more value than that.  I don't want to offend any Stag
V8 owners in any way.

lchillin
'73 STRag