Re: Spitfire Light Switch

To: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Light Switch
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 1996 09:49:51 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Thu, 7 Nov 1996, Tom Tweed wrote:

> Hey Ross,
>
> Are you sure the Mk III switch would be a replacement ?  The '69 Mk III
> that I had 20 yrs ago had a cheapo little rocker switch in the center of
> the dash -- made by Clear Hooters....

Whoa, don't get me started on those da*ned switches. Meanwhile, you're
both right in a way. Early Spitfire Mk.3 models (and all Mk.3's outside
the U.S.-spec. markets) shared the dashboard and switch arrangement with
the earlier Spitfires. On the Mk.3 that even included a nice sliver of
veneer to replace what formerly had been black crinkle-finish metal for
the instrument cluster. But from the 1969 model year on in the U.S., we
did get the "Federal" dashboard, with that gosh-awful switch.

Do what you will with this, Lucas pundits, but a Lucas switch was the
offered replacement when Leyland issued a recall on these lighting
switches.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *